Friday, February 3, 2012

Orange and Soy-Glazed Ribs

In my cooking repertoire there are certain proteins that I feel very comfortable working with. Give me a chicken breast, pork chop, or ground beef and I have no qualms about trying a new recipe. I can't say that I've ever worked with an entire rack of ribs before. When I first saw the recipe in a magazine, I thought they looked delicious but then I read the recipe I saw I had to cut ribs and use a few different techniques to cook them. Let me tell you, it was not as big of a deal as I imagined.

Most of the recipe is pretty hands off. Of course, once you cut the rack into individual ribs! My advice is to use a sharp knife and take your time. Then, the individual ribs are poached in a flavorful liquid which includes soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and cumin seeds. Once the ribs are tender, you make a glaze which includes more soy sauce, fresh orange juice, and a touch of honey. Finally, the ribs are broiled for a few minutes with the glaze. It was actually pretty easy and definitely not the trickiest recipe I've tackled.

The ribs reminded me of summertime in the middle of winter. I would describe them as having a spicy orange Asian flavor and they were incredibly tender. By broiling them for a few minutes, the ribs became a little charred and developed a nice smokey flavor. Enjoy!

LESSON LEARNED: Don't be afraid of using different cuts of meat.

Recipe for Orange and Soy-Glazed Ribs

No comments:

Post a Comment