Friday, February 17, 2012

Lobster Pot Pie

We decided not to go out to dinner on Valentine's day. Instead, I decided I would make a dish that I normally would never make: lobster pot pie. A while ago, I saw an episode on Food Network where Ina Garten made these adorable individual pot pies and I filed it away as something I wanted to make in the future. When I decided I didn't want to eat at a crowded restaurant, I immediately knew I would make lobster pot pie at home.

At first, I was intimidated because I haven't worked with lobster before. I knew I didn't want to get a live lobster and cook it at home, so I settled on lobster tail. I still had to cook it (I boiled it very briefly in salted water), but at least I wasn't dealing with a whole lobster. I only bought a single lobster tail because I only needed to make two portions, but the dish ended up with a BIG lobster flavor. The filling is a thickened seafood stock with sauteed fennel and onion along with peas, corn, parsley, and chopped lobster tail. Around the filling is a homemade pie crust which is thick, flaky, and buttery.

This was a DELICIOUS Valentine's day dinner at home!


LESSON LEARNED: We decided that making these pot pies (or any pot pies) in individual servings is the best way to achieve the perfect ratio of filling to crust.

Recipe for Lobster Pot Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment