Thursday, February 9, 2012

Black Bean Patties with Corn Relish & Avocado Cream Sauce

Every once in a while, I prepare something for dinner that is completely different than what we typically make. This is one example. I thought this recipe sounded really good and my husband was pretty skeptical. Looking back, I probably shouldn't have framed it as healthy and vegetarian. :)

However, that statement accurately describes this dish. There are 3 components: black bean patties, a corn relish, and avocado cream sauce. You can easily prepare all three components ahead of time and they all keep very well in the refrigerator. The black bean patties have a TON of southwest flavor from cumin, roasted red pepper, and a chipotle chili. The relish really "brightens up" the dish by combining charred corn, tomatoes, jalapeno, and lime juice. Finally, the avocado cream sauce is slightly tangy from sour cream and cools down some of the heat from the chilies. It's really best to get a bit of everything in one bite!

After I made the meal, I thought the black bean patties could easily be made smaller and turned into an appetizer for a dinner party. I thought the dish was good, but it was a pretty big portion. As for my husband, he ate about half and made himself a sandwich :)

LESSON LEARNED: If you scaled down the size of the patties, this would be a perfect appetizer.

Recipe for Black Bean Patties with Corn Relish & Avocado Cream Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment