Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Butternut Squash Apple Soup

I decided to make this soup after I saw a version of it in my local supermarket. I almost bought the soup, but I turned around the packaging and saw it had a crazy amount of sodium in it. I thought I could surely make a less salty version if I controlled the quality of ingredients.

I first sauteed an onion in some butter, added in flour, and de-glazed the pan with white wine. Next, I added homemade chicken stock and chopped butternut squash and apple and let the soup cook for half an hour. I then pureed the soup in a blender and added a touch of cream. To garnish the soup I used homemade croutons and chopped chives.

The soup was thick and creamy with tons of flavor from the squash and apple. It would be perfect for a cold winter day!

LESSON LEARNED: When you make a dish at home you can control the amount of sodium in it.

Recipe for Butternut Squash Apple Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment