Monday, February 27, 2012

Hummus with Whole Wheat Flatbreads

This dish would make the perfect light lunch or snack. I've been experimenting with mixing up different homemade dips and healthy snack foods, so this recipe fits right in.

I started with dried white beans (I couldn't find dried chickpeas in my store, but I probably didn't look hard enough!), soaked them overnight, and cooked them the next morning. That's the hard way to do things, but you could easily use canned beans.

I was most impressed with my whole wheat flatbread. I let the dough rest for 30 minutes, so I was able to roll out the dough pretty thin. I cooked the flatbread in a dry cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. They cook up super quickly and can burn (the smoke detectors in my house might have gone off!), so watch them carefully. However, the brown spots on the bread really add a TON of flavor!

The bean dip is smooth, lemony, and slightly smokey from a bit of cumin. The flatbreads are soft and nutty from using whole wheat flour. YUMMY! We decided that they would make the perfect appetizer by adding a halved cherry tomato on top.


 LESSON LEARNED: These flatbreads cook up quickly in a dry cast iron pan!

Recipe for Hummus with Whole Wheat Flatbreads

No comments:

Post a Comment