Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Mac & Cheese Soup

My husband LOVES mac and cheese. I think I could make just about any type of mac & cheese and he would happily eat it. We discovered this recipe in a food magazine last year and we've made it 4 or 5 times. This is a lot in our house because we try new recipes for almost every meal. I do a majority of the cooking, but he has made this by himself about half the times we've had it. That's how much he loves this recipe! Personally, I could take or leave mac & cheese, so he usually makes this when I don't feel like eating much for dinner.

The base of this recipe has much of the same components of a soup (sauteing onion, carrot, celery & adding chicken broth) and some components of a traditional mac & cheese recipe (milk, cheese, and macaroni). The soup isn't as dense as typical mac & cheese and it has a lighter, fresher flavor from the added vegetables. I would almost dare to say this is healthier since there is less pasta and milk compared to a traditional mac & cheese!

To add extra flavor, I chopped up some roasted tomatoes for my bowl.

LESSON LEARNED: As you make the soup, make sure you taste the soup for salt. It can go from being bland to overly salted pretty fast. One time when my husband was making this soup by himself, he asked for my opinion for flavoring and I was a little heavy-handed with the salt. Opps!

Recipe for Mac & Cheese Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment