Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Fajita Casserole

This dish has all the flavor of fajitas in the form of a casserole. It's been on our list of recipes to try for a while and we finally got around to making it late last week.

I thinly sliced sirloin steak (but you could use chicken or pork) and quickly marinated it in a mixture of onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and cinnamon. Cinnamon may seem like the one ingredient on this list that doesn't belong, but it provides a warm, slightly spicy note to the dish. I quickly cooked the steak in a hot pan, added some Mexican beer, and let the sauce reduce. Believe me, it had TONS of flavor!

Next, I stir-fried some red bell peppers, onion, and garlic. I added a splash of lime juice and chopped cilantro to the mix. While the veggies were cooking, I made some homemade tortilla strips by slicing flour tortillas, spraying with non-stick cooking spray, and baking until golden brown. Finally, I layered the casserole by placing the steak and veggies in the bottom of a dish, adding the tortilla strips on top, and shredded cheese. I think we went a little over-board with the cheese, but it didn't detract from the deliciousness of the casserole.  We served the dish with sour cream and salsa. Enjoy!


LESSON LEARNED: A quick marinade adds a ton of flavor to this steak!

Recipe for Fajita Casserole

No comments:

Post a Comment