Monday, March 26, 2012

Cherry Tomato & Tortellini Soup

My husband is always willing to try a new tomato soup recipe. He was even more excited when I told him that this recipe has cheese tortellini in it!

I really like the technique of forming the tomato sauce base in this recipe. You begin by heating some oil in a large pot with a lid, add the cherry tomatoes, cover, and shake occasionally until the tomatoes pop open. It really reminds me of cooking popcorn! The sauce is further flavored with minced garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes. Then you add chicken (or vegetable) stock, bring to a boil, and cook the tortellini. I accidentally grabbed pasta that was shaped like little purses, so it really doesn't matter what shape you go with.

The flavor of the soup is very light and pleasantly tomato-y. I garnished the soup with sliced scallions, basil, and strips of Parmesan cheese. It was even better with hunks of homemade bread!


LESSON LEARNED: Adding a little spice really adds depth to the flavor in this simple soup.

Recipe for Cherry Tomato & Tortellini Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment