Monday, January 30, 2012

Chicken Skewers with Orange/Cucumber Salsa

I was pleasantly surprised by this super simple healthy meal. I would like to think that I eat pretty healthy (for example, eating little processed/prepackaged foods & hardly ever getting fast food or even cheap chain-restaurant food), but I don't necessarily strive to make ultra-healthy dishes. I would MUCH rather is a half of serving of deliciously rich food than a whole lot of healthy food. I guess I'm in the quality over quantity camp when it comes to eating. That being said, this dish really impressed me.

You start by chopping boneless, skinless chicken breast into small cubes. The chicken is then marinated in a mixture of yogurt, cilantro, garlic, coriander, and turmeric. While the chicken is marinating, you make a quick salsa of chopped cucumber, orange segments, scallions, and serrano chili. Then, the chicken is skewered and broiled until cooked through and deliciously brown. The end result is super-flavorful chicken with a sweet & spicy refreshing salsa. I also served the chicken with whole wheat couscous which cooks up quickly in 5 minutes.
LESSON LEARNED: A simple salsa can add tons of flavor to a dish!

Recipe for Chicken Skewers with Orange/Cucumber Salsa

No comments:

Post a Comment